Firearms are essential for many people as they can keep them safe and secure against potential threats. However, accidental firings have been a cause for many deaths and injuries. One reason for such is not correctly storing firearms, making them accessible to unauthorized people, such as children, in many households.
Thus, if you own firearms, you should know that it’s imperative to store them safely and properly. Although you may be an expert in handling them, when accessed by your housemates or family members who are not trained to handle them, they may endanger themselves and others. That said, here are some tips to store your firearms securely:
Before storing your firearms, it’s best to use trigger locks. With trigger locks, you can prevent unauthorized users from firing or loading your guns. If you have a firearm at home, purchasing a trigger lock is essential to ensure gun safety.
Nowadays, you can buy new firearms with trigger locks as part of the package. If you live in Louisiana and plan to carry a gun, you need to have a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). To ace the test and ensure you get a CHP, you can take advantage of many Louisiana gun permit online courses. With these online resources, you’ll understand how a trigger works. Thus, you can appreciate why you’ll need trigger locks.
Trigger locks can come in various shapes and sizes, but their purpose is to prevent the trigger from performing its action. That way, you can avoid unintentional discharge.
- Keep Firearms In A Proper Gun Safe
Although trigger locks can prevent someone from firing your gun, they can’t deter gun theft or unauthorized access. Thus, you may need to keep your gun in the safest place or area in your home—a gun safe. Especially if you don’t live alone, you can keep your housemates from accessing your firearms.
Depending on the type and number of firearms you own, you may have to use one or any of the following types of gun safes:
- Gun Cabinets: If you have a gun collection, you may want to use gun cabinets. These are cheaper options than safes, but determined thieves can also destroy them. Thus, these may be best if you have insurance to cover the loss of your collection in case of theft, robbery, or accidental fires and the like.
- Sentry Safe: As for this type of gun safe, you can use it for your collection as well, especially if you have more than 50 firearms. With a sentry safe, you can ensure that they’re certified by safety organizations. Moreover, they have electronic locks, making it easier for you to access while preventing unauthorized individuals from accessing them.
- Gun Vault: Like a sentry safe, this type of gun storage can keep unauthorized access. It has a numeric password or fingerprint scanning, so only you can access it. However, it’s much smaller than a sentry safe, making it perfect for handguns.
- Gun Box: Another storage option to look at is the gun box, which is only suitable for safekeeping one firearm. Some models also have a biometric reader to allow only authorized individuals to access it. Although small, gun boxes are tough and durable.
- Use Gun Socks For Long-Term Storage
Another way to properly store your firearms is to use gun socks when you plan to store them for a long time. By using such, you can prevent the degradation of your firearm and prevent depreciation.
No matter how safe your storage is, it may not protect your guns from dust, humidity, and the like. As a result, they may rust and become useless when using them, especially if you have to rely on your guns in times of emergency.
With a gun sock, you can reduce rusting because they’re water resistant and have moisture-wicking properties. With desiccant packs, you can use gun socks or sleeves to keep moisture from penetrating your firearms when stored. Besides, some gun socks have hydrophobic polymer and silicone that keep moisture away from the cloth. It’s also safe for all materials and finishes because silicone doesn’t react with metal or wood.
Aside from selecting storage options for your firearms to keep them in tip-top shape, you can maximize your firearms when you keep them in their best condition. That way, they won’t malfunction when you need them the most. Thus, storing them properly is one great way to prevent them from degrading. Moreover, when you properly store them, you’re keeping your family safe from accessing your firearms to avoid any accidents. Most importantly, you can prevent thieves from stealing your guns, which they may use against you.