This proposed rule would:
- Provide new definitions of “firearm frame or receiver” and “frame or receiver”
- Amend the definition of:
- “firearm” to clarify when a firearm parts kit is considered a “firearm,” and
- “gunsmith” to clarify the meaning of that term and to explain that gunsmiths may be licensed solely to mark firearms for unlicensed persons.
- Provide definitions for:
- “complete weapon,”
- “complete muffler or silencer device,”
- “privately made firearm (PMF),” and
- “readily” for purposes of clarity given advancements in firearms technology.
- Provide a definition of “importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number”
- Provide a deadline for marking firearms manufactured.
- Clarify marking requirements for firearm mufflers and silencers.
- Amend the format for records of manufacture/acquisition and disposition by manufacturers and importers.
- Amend the time period records must be retained at the licensed premises.
Please submit your comments in a constructive and professional manner:
ATF Proposed Rule 2021R-05: Definition Of “Frame Or Receiver” And Identification Of Firearms is written by Aaron Spuler for www.weapon-blog.com